The Town of Marathon is embracing and promoting RESPECT.
Our Goal is to take RESPECT to a higher level and to support and promote:
- awareness of how people should treat one another
- beliefs and behaviours that recognize the importance of human dignity
- leadership to foster respectful behaviour
- respectful, responsible, and positive use of social media
Definition of Respect:verb; to show regard or consideration for: “to respect someone’s rights.”
Everyone has a role to play in upholding our Rights and Responsibilities.
- Being treated with RESPECT as a basic human right, regardless of : race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, intellectual capacity, body shape, disability, age, family background, parental status, or socio-economic background.
- The right to live and work in a dignified and harassment-free environment, which includes:
- The right where all individuals are treated with fairness, dignity and respect.
- The right to work and live in a positive and productive environment.
- The right to seek assistance and expect intervention when disrespected.
- Communicate in ways that are positive and respectful, which includes:
- Leading by example and demonstrating behaviour that creates and maintains a respectful workplace and community. All employees and citizens have a role in creating a respectful workplace
- Treat your coworkers and the public with respect, which includes:
- Treating all people equitably and fairly.
- Supporting your co-workers and the public if they experience harassment or discrimination; you have a responsibility to listen to their concerns.
- Speak up when others are disrespected, which includes:
- Being part of the resolution in a manner that contributes to building a healthy, and productive workplace/community.
- Having a responsibility to call attention to the behaviour and offer suggestions for more respectful behaviour.