Marriage Licences

Marriage licences are issued at the Town Hall Monday to Friday 10:00am-4:30pm, however we recommend you make an appointment to ensure staff are available.

Appointments can be made by contacting the Town Hall or by emailing the Deputy Clerk.

Please complete the Marriage Licence Application Form before you apply for your licence.

The fee for a Marriage Licence is $100.00 (HST exempt).

Wedding Ceremonies

The Town of Marathon offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies at the Town Hall during regular office hours. To find out more information or to inquire about having your ceremony at the Town Hall please contact the Deputy Clerk.

The fee for a Civil Marriage Ceremony is $292.00 (HST included)

FAQ's regarding Marriage and Weddings

How long is my licence valid?

A Marriage Licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of up to three months (90 days) from the date of issue.

Do both parties need to be present for the issuing of the licence?

If both applicants cannot appear in person, one applicant can bring in the following:

  • Completed Marriage Licence Application form signed by both applicants
  • Identification for Both Applicants:
  • Either a valid birth certificate or valid passport for both applicants
  • AND government issued photo identification (ex. driver's licences, health card) for both applicants

I've been married before, do I need to bring anything other than ID with me?

If an applicant has been divorced, and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required. A copy may be obtained from the court where the divorce was granted and can only be certified by the court registrar (a photocopy is not acceptable).

Foreign Divorce

If the divorce was granted outside of Canada, please review the Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario. A Statement of Sole Responsibility will need to be completed.

Send the completed information to:

Office of the Registrar General
189 Red River Road, PO Box 3000
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5W0

This process could take up to 4 weeks to complete. In the case of a foreign divorce, you must get authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence can be issued to you.

Widowed Applicants

Where an applicant is a widow(er), you must bring a copy of the Death Notice provided by the Funeral Home or a copy of the Death Certificate.

I'm under 18, can I still get a marriage licence?

In the province on Ontario, if a person is under the age of 18, consent of both parents is required using Form 6 - Consent to Marriage - Sworn Affidavit. If there is separation, divorce or death involved, parents or parent with custody can sign.

Does the Town provide my marriage certificate?

No, the Town doesn't issue marriage certificate.

You may order Marriage Certificates online through Service Ontario approximately 8 to 10 weeks after the date of your marriage.

How do I change my name after marriage?

If you're interested in changing your name after marriage, or curious about the process you can find more information at Service Ontario.

For questions relating to licencing or services provided contact us.

Contact Us