The Town of Marathon has new openings available on a regular basis – please visit this area of the site often for new job postings and employment opportunities. Available opportunities are listed below:
Town of Marathon
Chief Building Official/Emergency Services Manager
The Town of Marathon is located on the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior, on the eastern edge of the District of Thunder Bay. With a population of approximately 3,500, Marathon acts as a regional hub offering full service benefits in a friendly, outgoing and safe small town setting. Come experience the comfort and affordability of our friendly spirited community.
The Town of Marathon is committed to providing a positive and progressive workplace that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Chief Building Official/Emergency Services Manager is responsible for municipal planning administration and development control and the supervision of by-law enforcement activities; responsible for the management of all aspects of the Emergency Services department, including the fire department and emergency measures.
- Degree or diploma in architecture, civil technology, municipal planning or a field closely related to the building industry and five (5) years progressive experience in a related field
- Graduate of Ontario Fire College or equivalent, plus five (5) years experience in the fire service in a senior officer position
- Thorough knowledge of Municipal Act, Planning Acts, Building Code & Act, Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Provincial Offences Act, and all other acts and regulations related to the position
- Current certification as a Chief Building Official under the Ontario Building Code Act, or willing and able to obtain same within two (2) years of appointment
- Experience in training and supervising firefighters and comprehensive knowledge of modern firefighting and fire prevention methods and equipment
- Excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid Class DZ driver’s licence or willing and able to obtain same within two (2) years of appointment, and a clean driver’s abstract
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office Suite software (word processing, spreadsheet)
- Physically able to perform firefighting duties
- Must provide a vulnerable sector check satisfactory to the Employer
- Willing to attend meetings outside normal work hours, including periodic weekend and evening on-call duties and/or responding to after-hours emergencies as required
Hours of work: 36.25 hours per week
Salary: will be commensurate with experience
Please submit applications before Monday, March 5th, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. to:
Andrea Gauthier, Organizational Resources Officer
Town of Marathon
4 Hemlo Drive, P.O. Bag “TM”
Marathon, Ontario P0T 2E0
Phone: (807)229-1340 x2234 Fax: (807)229-1999 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Lifeguards, Lifeguards, Swim Instructors, Aquatic Fitness Instructors
- Rink Attendants and Special Events Workers
Parks and Recreation Department
The Corporation of The Town of Marathon is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals for posted opportunities. The Team Member Services Department currently accepts applications/resumes for advertised positions only and does not keep resumes or applications on file.
You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been received. We thank everyone who applies but only those individuals chosen for interviews will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and all other applicable legislation, the Corporation of The Town of Marathon is pleased to accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call Team Member Services at (807) 229 – 1340 ext. 2234 or email email@example.com if you require an accommodation to ensure your equal participation in the recruitment and selection process.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), information submitted is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used for candidate selection only.