Town of Marathon Announcements
Please visit this area of the site for current information of interest to the general public.
The town sends out a monthly e-mail blast of upcoming important dates and activities SIGN UP HERE
Due to mechanical issues, the Port Hole Pool will be closed at 1:00 pm today June 15, 2018 and will reopen in September.
ATT: Residents – Proposed New Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex
On June 11, True Grit Engineering will hold a community information session regarding the proposed new Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex
Marathon Center Mall 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Attention Residents Hemlo Drive (South)
Hemlo Drive resurfacing and drainage rehabilitation is scheduled to begin May 22nd, 2018. The map (PDF) indicates the affected properties and scope of the project. ►
- Culverts will be cleaned, and possibly replaced if beyond repair
- Ditches will be excavated down to original design depth
- Driveway aprons (area between sidewalk and roadway) will be repaved
- Affected properties may have delayed access but residents should usually be able to park in their driveways, unless concrete has been placed
- Sidewalks will not be replaced except in certain cases, those affected residents will be advised
- If the sidewalk in front of your residence is being replaced, your access will be further limited
- Asphalt will be stripped and road base material will be added where required
- Road base will be compacted with heavy equipment
- New asphalt will be placed, and traffic lines will be painted
- Occasional traffic stops to allow equipment access
- One lane for traffic should always be open
Anticipated project completion date is on or about July 20, 2018
Please obey traffic control personnel and proceed with caution when directed
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION
Notice to Residents
Municipal Law Enforcement Office hours have been amended to:
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Starting April 4, 2018
Approach the Wilson Memorial Hospital site with caution as regular heavy truck traffic is occurring with Senior Housing site construction.
Regular construction site updates are available on the Town of Marathon twitter, follow @townofMarathon today!
Town of Marathon Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex
- Town of Marathon Active Living Centre Feasibility Study – November 2017
- Active Living Centre Story Board Documents from True Grit Engineering July 12, 2017
- The Corporation of the Town of Marathon Marathon Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex Study Consultation Final Report
- The Corporation of the Town of Marathon Marathon Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex Study Consultation Report #2
- The Corporation of the Town of Marathon, Marathon Active Living Centre and Recreation Complex Study Consultation Report.
Attention Residents of Marathon (Frozen Water Line Policy) – Policy WO0034 has since been revised at Town Council Meeting of January 26, 2015, and The Town of Marathon will no longer be responsible should the service lateral freeze at any time, regardless of property line. We encourage property owners to do all they can to prevent a reoccurrence, by ensuring that a bleeder valve or cold water tap is flowing. We suggest that this bleeder be used until the risk of freezing from frost penetration has passed. You can view the new revised policy and get helpful tips by clicking the link (pdf) Frozen Water Service Line (doc) (pdf)
2018 Dog Licence – Your Best Friends Safety – Get a tag.
Winter Parking Restrictions – Effective November 1st to April 1st. No parking on any street between 2:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Some exemptions apply. Please refer to Winter Road Maintenance By-Law No. 1885. Please do not dump snow on municipal property.
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
In 2016, the Ontario Energy Board is offering a program for low income customers to assist with electricity bills. Click here for more information about the program and how to apply.
For current employment opportunities please click the button below:
Appointment to Board Applications
Waste Transfer Station & Garbage Collection schedule
Waste Transfer Station (WTS): Hours for the WTS are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 2 – 6 p.m. The recycling centre is located at the WTS and is open the same hours as the WTS. The household hazardous waste depot is also located at the WTS and shares the same operating hours for the summer season. WTS closes for the winter months.
The Recycling Centre accepts the following: Plastic containers (remove lids); food, beverage, metal and aluminum cans (rinse cans); aluminum foil wrap and trays; milk cartons and juice boxes (remove straws); newspapers, flyers, magazines, hardcover books (remove covers), telephone books, egg cartons (not styrofoam); cores from paper towels, toilet tissue rolls; cereal boxes (remove liners), office paper, envelopes, paperbacks, household and fine paper, clean wood, clean metal and bicycles.
Recycling Electronics: What Waste Electronic Equipment (WEE) products can I bring?
- audio/video players
- fax machines
- cell phones
For more information on recycling your electronics, please call (807)229-1340 x2229 or to access the Ontario Electronic Stewardship (OES), visit their website at www.ontarioelectronicstewardship.ca.
Sewage Treatability Study was completed on August 17, 2010. The purpose of this work was to assess the capabilities of the Town’s existing sewage treatment plant to handle the leachate generated as a result of the proposed expansion.
Hydrogeological Assessment was completed on August 17, 2010. The purpose of this assessment was to determine the net effects on the down gradient aquifer as a result of the proposed expansion.
For further assistance or information please contact the staff of the Town of Marathon at (807) 229-1340 or contact us online.